What is #HC4aDay?
Ever wondered what it would be like to be a British High Commissioner, Consul-General or a Director of the British Council for a day? We have opportunities for all young women, including trans+, in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Perth and Brisbane. #HC4aday is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in getting a 'behind the scenes' experience with the UK in Australia. You will get to see diplomacy, politics and cultural exchange in action and how real positive changes are made.
Who is eligible?
- Anyone identifying as female between the ages 16 and 22.
- You must be able to attend in person one of the UK missions (Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney) around the date of International Women's Day, Monday 8 March 2021.
How to enter?
- Record a video on the theme of International Women’s Day and what #ChooseToChallenge means to you
- Use your video to tell us how you would #ChooseToChallenge gender stereotypes or the policy you would introduce to challenge gender inequality
- Videos must be between 30 seconds and 2 minutes in length
- Log in/ sign up to Vimeo, make sure you verify your account by clicking the link in the welcome email you will receive upon signing up
- Upload your video to Vimeo, titling it clearly with your name and the city you would like to be a HC4aday in – Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Canberra or Brisbane, e.g. Lisa - Perth
- Copy the link to your video
- Follow our Vimeo account, click message and add in your video link.
- All entries submitted will be open for others to view until Sunday 28 February 2021
- "Like" the UK in Australia Facebook page or follow us on Twitter at @ukinaustralia
NB: By posting your video, you give UK in Australia permission to re-share your videos across our other platforms.
How the winners will be chosen
Each video will be judged by a panel from across the UK in Australia team who will be looking for innovative gender equality policies, passionate reasons on why you #ChooseToChallenge, and creative video content. We’ll choose up to two winners per location (Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney) from all entries. We’ll reach out to those who have won via Vimeo so keep an eye out for comments.
The deadline for uploading videos to Vimeo is 23:59 AEDT Sunday 28 February 2021.
The winners will be announced on Tuesday 2 March 2021.
Who is the High Commissioner?
The High Commissioner is the UK government’s representative in a Commonwealth nation. They are responsible for the direction and work of the High Commission and its Deputy High Commissions and/or Consulates, including political work, trade and investment, press and cultural relations, and visa and consular services.
The Consul-General is the senior UK official in a Consulate General, which are found in the largest countries and those with important relationships where the UK wants to have an additional presence in other major cities or regions. The Consul-General represents the UK government including on consular, trade and political activities in their city or region.
The Director is the senior official in Australia for the British Council based in Sydney. The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. The British Council helps young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities.
|HC4ADAY flyer - extended deadline (002).pdf||428.6 KB|