The Office for Women invites all interested individuals, non-government and civil society organisations to provide a submission to inform the Australian Government priorities for the 62nd Session on the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW62).
The purpose of the submissions is to inform the Australian Government’s position during negotiations of the CSW62 Agreed Conclusions and other related resolutions.
- The priority theme for CSW62: Challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls.
- The review theme for CSW62: Participation in and access of women to the media, and information and communications technologies and their impact on and use as an instrument for the advancement and empowerment of women.
Broadly speaking, the Australian Government has a range of priorities for the achievement of global gender equality, including:
- The prevention and elimination of all forms of gender-based violence, including harmful traditional practices;
- Increasing women’s economic security by accelerating women’s participation in the paid workforce and enabling better access to finance, trade opportunities and information, digital and communications technology;
- Including women in leadership and decision-making roles in all areas of society including at all levels of government, the private sector, the broader community and in conflict and post-conflict zones;
- Better health and education outcomes for women and girls with a focus on access to quality, affordable services including in relation to women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights; and
- Recognition of the importance of working with men and boys, and the role of civil society, National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) and human rights defenders as agents of change in ensuring gender equality and the protection of the human rights of women and girls.
The Australian Government delegation will also continue to assess the gender goals and targets under the Sustainable Development Goals, alongside the Beijing Declaration and Platform of Action.
Your submission will inform the Australian Government’s position during negotiations of the CSW62 Agreed Conclusions and other related resolutions.
Submissions close 11.59pm Sunday 29th October 2017. Submissions must be limited to one page.
Submissions may be submitted by email
or post to this address: Office for Women, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, PO Box 6500, CANBERRA ACT 2600