The Department of Sociology within the Faculty of Arts at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, is seeking an academic in the Sociology of Gender. Grounded in the appointee’s established program of high-quality research, teaching and PhD supervision, the appointee will have two main, complementary tasks:
• Administration and teaching of Macquarie’s Gender Studies major, which aims to offer a lively, genuinely interdisciplinary program across the social sciences and humanities. The Gender Studies program is run by the Department of Sociology, and the appointee will take a leading role in its administration and teaching. This includes teaching courses on gender (which comprises of a large first-year course and smaller upper-level courses) and bringing energy and initiatives to the program.
• Contribute to the development of a sociology of gender perspective in the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs in one or more of the Department of Sociology’s teaching areas, which cover diverse themes in economic, political and cultural sociology and in social policy.
The candidate will also be expected to maintain a strong research profile as evidenced through high-quality publications and external research funding. Appointments will be made at either Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level, depending on experience and track record.
To be considered for the role, please submit your application online, including your resume and covering letter identifying the level of appointment sought and addressing the selection criteria below:
• PhD in Sociology or cognate discipline
• A strong research profile with excellent publication record in sociology of gender
• Demonstrated research interests in one or more of the Department's areas of research strength (seehttp://www.mq.edu.au/about/about-the-university/faculties-and-departments/faculty-of-arts/departments-and-centres/department-of-sociology/research)
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching
• A capacity to support and extend an interdisciplinary program in Gender Studies
• A capacity to support and extend teaching in the Sociology program
• Demonstrated capacity for teamwork and a collegial attitude
• Track record in successful fellowship or competitive grant applications
• Track record in successful higher degree research supervision (essential for appointment at Level C)
• Track record of collegial scholarly activities such as workshop or panel convening, collaborative research or international collaborations (essential for appointment at Level C).
Salary Package: from $96,970 - $114,732 p.a. (Level B), or $118,401 - $136,161 (Level C), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
Appointment Type: full-time, continuing – to commence in Session 1, 2017
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Gabrielle Meagher, Head of Department, Department of Sociology on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday, 17 July 2016 at 11.55pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.